Home / Services / Financial Seminars
Only DFCU Financial offers a full spectrum of educational programs to help our members and the community overcome financial challenges and achieve important milestones.
Thousands have attended and been helped by DFCU’s Financial Education Seminar Series since the program was created in 1999. Budgeting/credit expert Charles Hoff, Member Financial Education Counselor, AFC, has a no-nonsense, easy-to-understand approach to this often confusing subject matter. Seminars include Healthy Credit, Debt-Free Living, Social Security, Pre-and-Post Retirement, and Estate Planning. All seminars are free to members and potential members, hosted at a DFCU location and scheduled from 6:30 – 8 p.m. unless otherwise stated.
For a complete schedule and seminar descriptions, check out the sections below and click the accompanying links to reserve your spot today!
Building and maintaining a solid credit score is important and often difficult without a road map to guide you. This seminar will teach you:
Register for Healthy Credit
- How to obtain your “true” FICO credit score
- Little-known facts about credit scores
- How your credit score impacts everyday life beyond loan approval
- Common consumer mistakes
- Strategies to raise your credit score
- How to dispute credit report errors.
The foundation of any successful financial plan is a sound, realistic budget. During this seminar, we’ll discuss how to create a budget as well as how to most effectively plan for unplanned expenses to dig--and keep--yourself out of debt. Other topics include:
Register for Debt-Free Living
- How to use a budget to reach financial goals
- How to position yourself to live on less income
- Methods to determine the amount of credit you can afford
- How to stop creating new debt
- How to incorporate a systematic approach to retirement saving
During this seminar, we’ll discuss when you should prepare for retirement (hint: in your 20s!) and the best strategies for doing so. During our time together, you’ll become more aware of the evolving issues and trends you’ll face as you approach retirement, and we’ll teach you how to use the “forgotten approach” to wealth-building, and about traps to avoid as you plan and save.
Register for Pre-Retirement Wealth Builder
So you made it to retirement. What now? Attend our Post-Retirement Wealth Builder seminar to learn how to plan for, and live, a sustainable lifestyle throughout retirement. We’ll discuss the following topics:
Register for Post-Retirement Wealth Retention
- Challenges – current and future – facing today’s retiree
- Common financial mistakes people make after retirement
- Closing financial gaps in retirement
- Financial tools at your disposal that can help preserve wealth.
Retirement comes with a lot of questions, many of which are about how retirees should handle their Social Security benefits. During this seminar, we’ll answer the following questions:
Register for Retirement Readiness: Social Security Options
- Should you take your benefits as early as possible, or is it better to wait?
- What’s the difference in income you’ll receive if you wait?
- Can you work and still receive Social Security?
- As half of a dual-income household, how can you maximize your Social Security benefits?
For many of us, estate planning is a task we avoid for too long, and sometimes, until it’s too late. Estate planning doesn’t have to be a gloomy process, in fact, it’s often quite fulfilling to know you taken the necessary steps to take care of your loved ones. Without an estate plan, could leave personal decisions concerning your assets to be determined by the state in which you live, leaving your beneficiaries to face possible legal obstacles and unwelcome tax burdens. Our Estate Planning Seminar will explain the process and how you and your family can most effectively navigate it.
Register for Estate Planning