Thousands have attended and been helped by DFCU’s Financial Education Seminar Series since the program was created in 1999. Budgeting/credit expert Charles Hoff, Member Financial Education Counselor, AFC, has a no-nonsense, easy-to-understand approach to this often confusing subject matter.
All seminars are free to members and potential members, and are scheduled from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. unless otherwise stated. For a complete schedule and seminar descriptions, check out the sections below and click the accompanying links to reserve your spot today!
Healthcare post-retirement can be confusing. There are many plans within Medicare (and additional insurance products) available to provide you with the right coverage for your changing healthcare needs. If you're almost ready to enroll--or in your mid to late 50s--this seminar will go a long way to help you understand your options. We'll also discuss how employers' insurance plans interface with Medicare, for those planning on working past age 65.
Register for Retirement Readiness: Medicare/Healthcare
- Medicare Parts A, B, C, D, and Medi-gap plans—what they are, what they’re for
- Out-of-pocket costs associated with each part of Medicare
- Common mistakes made while enrolling and penalties associated with them
- How to fund your healthcare needs in retirement
- The various "Enrollment Periods"—what should be done BEFORE they arrive
Retirement comes with a lot of questions, many of which are about how retirees should handle their Social Security benefits. During this seminar, we’ll answer the following questions:
Register for Retirement Readiness: Social Security Options
- Should you take your benefits as early as possible, or is it better to wait?
- What’s the difference in income you’ll receive if you wait?
- Can you work and still receive Social Security?
- As half of a dual-income household, how can you maximize your Social Security benefits?
So you made it to retirement. What now? Attend our Post-Retirement Wealth Builder seminar to learn how to plan for, and live, a sustainable lifestyle throughout retirement. We’ll discuss the following topics:
Register for Post-Retirement Wealth Retention
- Challenges – current and future – facing today’s retiree
- Common financial mistakes people make after retirement
- Closing financial gaps in retirement
- Financial tools at your disposal that can help preserve wealth
Thanks to the miracles of modern medicine and technology, many seniors enjoy an invigorating lifestyle, full of travel and excitement. Unfortunately, as the years pass these questions begin to arise:
- If I’m unable to care for myself, how can I achieve the greatest quality of care without bankrupting myself, my spouse or my children?
- What can be done legally to protect my assets?
- What are the differences between alternative care options: home care, assisted living, adult day care, and senior apartments?
- What options are there to pay for traditional or alternative care?
Fortunately, care alternatives to the traditional nursing home have emerged. To pay for these services, however, many seniors quickly go through their entire life savings and assets—unnecessarily
. Whether you are concerned about preserving your own assets, or those of an aging or ill parent, our Elder Law seminar will help you understand how to mitigate or eliminate these costs.
Register for Elder Law: Wealth Preservation and Long-Term Care
Estate planning is a task we often avoid for too long or until it’s too late, but the right time to start planning for your future is now. Whether you’re in your 20’s or nearing retirement, you’ll benefit from our Estate Planning Seminar as we explain the process and how you and your family can most effectively navigate it.
This doesn’t have to be a gloomy process and, in fact, it’s quite fulfilling to know you’ve taken the necessary steps to take care of loved ones. Not having an estate plan could leave personal decisions concerning your assets to be determined by the state in which you live, leaving your beneficiaries to face possible legal obstacles and unwelcome tax burdens.
Register for Estate Planning
- When to update an estate plan
- What to look for in an attorney
- Misconceptions about estate planning
- Dangers of not planning
- Probate Court avoidance
It’s been said a goal without a plan is nothing more than a wish, yet many people mistakenly believe the secure retirements that prior generations enjoyed will naturally translate into one of their own. In fact, there is a new retirement reality we all must face. If we’re to adapt to this new reality we have to take control of our own financial future as soon as possible. Put yourself on track to enjoy a sustainable retirement. During this presentation, we'll show you how.
Register for Pre-Retirement Wealth Builder
- Identify long neglected financial goals pre-retirees should achieve before they retire
- Discuss the “forgotten approach” prior generations used to achieve a sustainable retirement
- Review financial tools at your disposal to reach financial goals
- Identify potential financial mistakes made during the pre-retirement years that can seriously set you back financially when you reach retirement years
Building and maintaining a solid credit score is important and often difficult without a road map to guide you. This seminar will teach you:
Register for Healthy Credit
- How to obtain your “true” FICO credit score
- Little-known facts about credit scores
- How your credit score impacts everyday life beyond loan approval
- Common consumer mistakes
- Strategies to raise your credit score
- How to dispute credit report errors
The foundation of any successful financial plan is a sound, realistic budget. During this seminar, we’ll discuss how to create a budget as well as how to most effectively plan for unplanned expenses to dig--and keep--yourself out of debt. Other topics include:
Register for Debt-Free Living
- How to use a budget to reach financial goals
- How to position yourself to live on less income
- Methods to determine the amount of credit you can afford
- How to stop creating new debt
- How to incorporate a systematic approach to retirement saving